Wednesday 24 October 2007

Ranting about Christians and Social Action!

For the younger reader....

This week I have been interviewed by 'The Leamington Courier' because 'Piper' will be published on Oct 31st and launched at Myton School on Nov 2nd. I waffled on hopelessly - it's very difficult to talk about a book without giving too much away - but I did say it raised some difficult issues that I was concerned about - the divide between rich and poor, over-population, the way we share out food resources, slavery, damage to the environment. It probably sounded terribly heavy - so I kept stressing that it is also romantic! But I was very interested to be asked if I thought young people were interested in such questions.' Yes,' I said. 'Of course. The young people I meet are very interested - especially about the environment and human rights issues.' Last week I went on the 'Cut the Carbon' march with a daughter and her friend; only today a young chap I know, told me he had written to Cadbury's to ask about where they got their cocoa beans and whether they could guarantee the workers were treated fairly and no child labour had been involved. So I think I'm right and young people are interested. But am I? What do you think? What issues do you really care about?

For the more wrinkly reader....


Today, someone very politely suggested to me that I should hold off on any further suggestions for social action to the members of my church. Sharp intake of breath. Mad battle to stop the red mist descending. Quick rant at husband. Quick rant at daughters and their helpless friend who now probably thinks they have completely demented mother (well - it wouldn't take long for her to work that out anyway) - but no help. Will still have to rant at unsuspecting public in the hope of a good night's sleep.

I would love to say that I can see my friend's point. But I can't. There are some things where, however hard I think about them, I cannot see where the other side is coming from. This is one. I look at the world and its endless, overwhelming neediness and I think of the paltry amount of time that I can spare for addressing it and I read or hear of opportunities for us all, Christian or non-Christian, to do our little bit and I think that the least I can do is to share them with the people I know. This little bit, this small opportunity that has come to my notice, might just be the one that someone is waiting for. They hate on-line petitions, they're too busy to volunteer regularly, their work is too inflexible to go on a demo, they can barely make ends meet so certainly can't sponsor anyone - but they can spare one afternoon to rattle a tin outside Sainsbury's - or whatever!

I'm not suggesting for a moment that I'm up to speed myself on social action - I'm not. Anita Roddick's words, 'Do something, do anything, but do something!' ring accusingly in my ears far too much because, of course, I could do more. My approach is too scattergun, too random, I suspect, to be truly effective. There have been times in my life when I've put my social action eggs in one basket for a while and perhaps then they've had more chance of survival - but there are so many issues and so little time and how can we prioritise? I have been working on a novel for young teenagers for a long time now in which the central character is an eco-worrier - she's into saving toads and badgers and the environement, she's into fair trade and organic, she's a staunch supporter of Friends of the Earth, Greenpeace and Amnesty International. I'm still working on it - it's not quite right yet - but one criticism which surprised me was that no one can be worried about quite so much and perhaps I need to make my character focus on just one of two issues? Well, I'm sorry but I certainly worry about all those issues and more besides! How can you not?

But maybe that's where my friend is coming from too. It's all just too much. It's not actually that we can't worry about it all, but we don't want to. We will burn out. And in terms of the church members, they will feel so overwhelmed that they will feel unable to do anything. Or it will become like water off a duck's back; they will cease to be moved.

I can see that. I'm there, every Saturday morning, struggling to make the right decisions over buying fruit for my family. There are so many things to consider - fair trade, local, organic, price and will my kids actually eat it?! I could buy lovely locally grown Coxes apples at a reasonable price - but no one would eat them! It's exhausting and dispiriting andoverwhelming - but I don't see that I have a choice. I cannot say that I am a practising Christian and not take the care of the environment and the welfare of the world's farm workers seriously. Can I?

But I confess myself a wimp - I ceased subscribing to the 'New Internationalist' because I couldn't cope with facing a new world crisis, a new major injustice, a new issue I felt compelled to do something about, every single month! So you see, I'm getting there. I'm beginning to see my friend's point of view....

No. Hold it right there. Go any further along that route and surely, we're on the slippery slope to inertia and apathy. Helplessness. Standing by and wringing our hands. And Jesus would do that? Yeah, right.

I have a postcard pinned over my desk. It says, 'I wanted to change the world but I couldn't find a baby-sitter.' It's there because, to an extent, that's how I feel. I am too busy with the cares of my work, my family and friends, to be as socially active as I would like to be. But it's there too, to remind me that I do not want to find myself with that excuse on my lips on my deathbed. Those words should challenge us as Christians too. We want to change the world but actually we're pretty comfortable how we are. It's an effort to find a baby-sitter and, supposing we did, we'd have to get out there and do something. We wouldn't be able to be nice and cosy in our house groups and prayer meetings and worship services with our lovely Christian friends. We'd have to sacrifice some of that. I don't like the 'mission' excuse either - our chief role is to evangelise, to concern ourselves with the immortal soul. I'm with Christian Aid with their splendid slogan: 'We believe in life before death.' If I were a non-Christian, I would be far more impressed with someone who put themselves out to meet my physical or social need first and then allowed me to ask them about what motivated them, rather than someone who was only out to save my soul.

So it's no good. We can't cry, 'Enough! No more, please, God! We can't take it!' We have to relentlessly do whatever we can, whenever we can, however we can, even if, as it is in my case, pathetic and small and weedy. We cannot shut ourselves off from it. OK, we have to look after ourselves - keep ourselves healthy - not drive ourselves crazy. But I think the majority of us in British Churches, are a long way from doing that. We're not, like William Wilberforce, damaging our health because of our decades of campaigning or like Lord Shaftesbury, dying with the words, 'But there is so much more to do!' on our lips. Jesus withdrew to pray on occasion, setting us a good example in taking time out from all this. But he didn't always succeed - and he didn't then turn round and tell people to go away because he'd had enough! And I may be wildly wrong here but I'm pretty darned sure that he dealt with people's physical and social needs alongside their need for forgiveness.

9 comments:

Alis said...

I think your friend's probably referring to the whole notion of 'compassion fatigue'or, here, probably 'call to action fatigue' but I agree with you, it is frustrating when you see very clearly what needs to be done and nobody will do it!
But thinking more deeply Christianly, are we all called to be activists? Isn't it a bit like the gifts which it takes to make up the body of the church - we can't all be preachers, some have to be administrators. If your gift isn't for action/activism might you not be wasting the energies you should be putting into what you are called to do - pray, care for those in your immediate vicinity, fulfil the role you've been given (whether it be CEO or secretary) to the best of your ability, leaving very limited energy for the activism? I'm always reminded when this kind of thing comes up of the story in the hilarious 'Diary of Adrian Plass Aged 36 and 3/4 which was doing the rounds in Christian circles 15 years or so ago. The eponymous Adrian was so convinced that he should be more active in church that he spent all his time doing 'good works' - he came home one evening to find a note on the kitchen table 'abandoned family in cafe, please help'. Excellent he thought, another cause to work for, more souls to minister to, and off he went. Of course, the abandoned family was his own and his son asked'couldn't we be God's work occasionally?'. I know what I've said could be a cop out when there's so much that needs doing and the world (quite literally) needs saving but when we all have a limited amount of energy isn't it really vital to expend it on the most important stuff? It's then up to us to discern what the most important stuff is, I suppose...

Meg Harper said...

Hmm...I thought someone would quote that bit from Adrian Plass at me!!! Let's counter with some more Anita Roddick. 'Be a sittist then. Sit at your computer and participate.' Am so not recommending people neglect their families - but I do believe that we could all do something more, however small - and I do feel that in the church setting I'm in , there is room for someone flagging up what can be done pretty regularly. If you're not in a position to know about all the important stuff, how can you discern what it is? But maybe I should just get back out to the wilderness and cry!!! Delusions of grandeur? No, just waiting to have my head chopped off!

Alis said...

Yes, I entirely agree that if somebody doesn't tell us we can't discern. I suppose my problem is that there's just such a fine line between being informed and being sent on a guilt-trip. But that may be just me!
I do like the Anita Roddick - and I think more people could take up that challenge. How long does it take to send an email to your MP about the situation in Burma, after all?

thyrox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
thyrox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meg Harper said...

No typo in eco-worrier, OK? If that's what you're referring to, Thyrox. It's deliberate. She is one - and so am I. More talk than action - so I don't need more Sabbath rest as I take plenty!And I thoroughly enjoy life too on the whole, despite all the stuff I get frustrated by - which includes myself! But I agree there is a balance to be struck - you're right to flag up the Sabbath issue in general. And thank you for appreciating the conflict/contradiction. I love that song - there's something about not being beaten yet too, isn't there? And we should also mention that it's a joint effort with Kate Bush!!!

thyrox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

i think it's awesome that you are so up for letting people know what needs to be done. primarily because it does NEED to be done, and if people aren't going to find out about it themselves how can you telling other people NOT be worthwhille.

I really appreciate all you do for our church and think it is really good that you show other people you care about important issues.

For example, "the truth isn't sexy" beer mats you gave out; i'm sure almost with out fail if you asked the church if people trafficing is acceptable they would say it wasn't, but if you asked them what they would do about it they wouldn't know where to start. By providing an answer to the second question, by giving people a place to start they can continue themselves.

I am convinced that if Jesus was on earth now he wouldn't be satisfied with dropping a beer mat in a pub, he would do something more. You giving people the starting block pushes them to do something more, and many people are scared of that, me included.

In the way my mother says when she wants the house tidied "i don't want to have to tell you what do to, just look at what needs to be done and do it." I've never been good at seeing what needs to be done so thanks for the help!

Danny

Meg Harper said...

Thanks, Dann, I am so encouraged by your post! I think you're absolutely right - it's really hard to see what needs doing and also to know what are the things we can realistically do. Because we can't do everything. But I'm looking forward to the church pub crawl in January to distribute the beer mats! Never done a pub crawl before. Any readers who don't know what all this is about, visit www.thetruthisntsexy.com